Monday, June 8, 2009

Crochet Crochet and MORE Crochet--Maybe You'd Like to Join Me?

What have I been DOING for the past week? CROCHETING. We didn't have any house showings this week, so I didn't have to waste any of my time cleaning--ha ha ha! Ok, I am HOOKED on (ok, I couldn't resist the corny crochet joke!) these little amigurumi creatures!! I don't really LOVE the crocheting part, but I love the creatures! Is it the kid in me? I can't help myself!! I SAY it is because my kids like them... but truly... they just make me smile!!!



Here's what I've accomplished...



These are a few from the pattern I purchased on etsy--I sort of screwed up the pear, but I don't feel too badly as he was my first effort... She has a lot of cute little patterns in her shop.

Look at this cutie cupcake! Ok, a little lopsided, but in all fairness, my kids gave it a good squishing! This was a FREE pattern! It worked up really quickly! The instructions are INSANELY awesome--really a great one as a first try because the instructions are so detailed, and have pictures!

These red apples are for my kids' teachers for an end-of-year gift. I know one of them will really love it--not sure about the other one, as I don't know her as well--but I am giving them chocolate, too--so THAT part should be welcomed, at least! :-) These are a basic apple pattern from the Lion Brand Yarn website (free! but you might have to create a login and password to view this pattern), I just added the faces.


Finally, these panda bears (also from the Lion Brand Yarn website!) were for my son and daughter--JUST finished last night! I added a little yarn bow to Girlie's. As you can see, they aren't exactly the same--I know I messed up a little on one of them. But the truth is, it doesn't really matter because it still looks like a panda! :-) That's one thing I like about it! I can mess up and it's still ok!

I also wanted to share a website on Squidoo that has a great basic crochet tutorial--truly these creatures only use one or two different stitches. Over and over again! You can do it!!!!!!

I am slowing down after the initial excitement has worn off--but I DID happen to be at Michael's when they had a discount as-is yarn bin--all 99 cents! Nothing was wrong with them, just no label, and maybe a tad bit unwound. YAY! I got four skeins for the price of one regular one! I did feel charmed again!

If you are at all interested, give it a try--crochet needles are not expensive, you can just buy one. Get yourself a needle with a large eye to do the mouth. The eyes are doll eyes--washer type, easily found in a craft store. You could even just embroider them with yarn like the mouth. And some yarn. If you are totally new to crochet, check out the Squidoo tutorial, and start with the cupcake! Fun! :-)

1 comment:

Hello there! My name is June said...

those are so very cute! ...that's my goal...to be able to crochet well enough to make cute little characters! So far...it's just babydoll hats at this time!