Friday, December 5, 2008

What Lies Beneath


I have been working feverishly, in between entertaining a four-year-old (who, yes, has gotten paint in her hair) to paint a little room in our house that hasn't been touched in the 13 years we've lived here. I still have some trim to finish (yes, painted wood, sigh). Last night I pulled off the carpet (and hubby helped me finish--small room, but that carpet got heavy!).

I am sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but someone stuck linoleum tiles all over the hardwood floor. They are kind of a cool pattern, though. I wonder how old they are--they are actually engraved linoleum--not a printed pattern. This house dates back to 1890, so it could be any time in between. I just love old things like that. I was never great in history class, but when it is in front of you, tangible--it is exciting to think of the people who lived here in the past with their own families and lives, joys and sorrows... Did they have to save up for the linoleum? Were they so excited with their "new look"? Or was it simply a weekend project, no big deal?

Anyway, even though the pattern appeals to me, it doesn't look right where it is located in the house (I might leave it for a kitchen or ??), so we will probably have to look into some carpet squares. We are not up for refinishing the floor, it would need lots of work. We have done other rooms in the house, and we are tired of doing that right now (!!!!!!).

Ok, time to get ready for my flu shot appointment. I am less concerned about the poke than freezing my bootie--it is a whopping 7 degrees here this morning!!!

No comments: